Comprehensive Plan Update
The City of Manassas is updating its Comprehensive Plan – the City’s key policy document for land use, development, preservation and related economic and social issues. As part of this update, the City will also be completing its first Transportation Master Plan to guide future transportation investments and improve mobility in the City.
Watch a video on the Comprehensive Plan Update process and learn about the draft chapters:
Overview of the Comprehensive Plan Update process
Both the Citizen Survey and Community Conversations are complete:
In 2017 - 2018, the City completed a Citizen Survey and Community Conversations to gather input on the community’s priorities and vision. In spring 2019 the Planning Commission developed draft goals, objectives, and strategies for each chapter and revised land use recommendations.
Following the June 26th community meeting, planning staff will draft the full plan update and release it to the public for formal comment in the fall 2019. The Planning Commission public hearing on the update is tentatively proposed for November 2019. City Council is scheduled to begin a final review and adoption in January 2020.
A community vision summit was held on June 26, 2019, to present the draft Comprehensive Plan goals and objectives. Interested citizens may review the meeting information and provide comments at the link below.
The following upcoming meetings are scheduled:
- Fall 2019 – Draft chapter release and Planning Commission public hearings
- Winter 2020 – City Council review and public hearings
Committee meeting agendas will be published on the Friday before each meeting. See the agendas.
The Planning Commission's Comprehensive Plan Committee has met since January 2019 to develop draft goals, objectives, and strategies for each chapter and revised land use recommendations. Draft chapters to-date can be downloaded here:
All meetings are open to the public, and citizens may address the committee for up to three minutes each, unless additional time is requested and approved by the chairperson prior to the meeting. Citizens may also submit comments via this link:
Comprehensive Plan Committee
The Planning Commission's Comprehensive Plan Committee met on the following dates and locations at 6 p.m. Agendas were published on the Friday before each meeting and updated with additional materials and presentations following the meeting. See the agendas.
- January 30--Organizational Meeting (City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room)
- February 13--Key Issues & Goal Statements (Public Works Conference Room)
- February 27--Land Use (City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room)
- March 6--Downtown Land Use & Character (City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room)
- March 20--Land Use & Map Changes (Manassas Museum Conference Room)
- March 27--Housing (Manassas Museum Conference Room)
- April 10--Transportation (City Council Chambers)
- April 24--Transportation and Land Use (Mathis) (City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room)
- May 1--Economic Development (Manassas Museum Conference Room)
- May 8--Community Facilities (Manassas Airport Conference Room)
- May 22--Parks, Culture & Recreation/Environment & Health (City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room)
- June 5--Land Use (Downtown) (City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room)
- June 12—Review Open Items (Manassas Airport Conference Room)
- June 26--Vision Summit Open House (7PM - Boys and Girls Club)
The Community Engagement portion of the Comprehensive Plan Update included two phases of Community Conversations meetings, pop-up events, HOA meetings, and an online engagement tool, Let's Talk Manassas. All these activities aimed to learn more about the priorities of our citizens and to define a community-driven vision for the future.
Results from Community Conversations events, the Let's Talk Manassas website, and the 2018 Citizen Satisfaction Survey will be used to develop the City’s long-range planning documents through 2019 and in the future. Read the Community Conversations reports: